Description

...

Baby Apollo and the Pittsburgh Penguins

Posted on: Sunday, April 10, 2011

Apollo is what we're going to name our first son. Not that there is a son in the works, nor will there be for at least a few years, but we've got the name ready. Kyle likes the middle name "Danger," but don't worry, I shut that idea down pretty quickly.

Last night Kyle and I were talking about the things we want to do in the next 4 or 5 years before babies. Places we want to go, adventures we want to take, etc. As much as I like to think about the future and plan things, this is not something I've much thought about, because there are more immediate plans left to be made (work, school, life), and it is very hard to plan much in advance with the military always threatening to swoop in and forcibly change them for us. But, as Kyle pointed out, it is still good to have some rough ideas of what we would like to do if the opportunity is there. I know for sure that I would like to go back to Finland and show Kyle around. Even before we were dating I always thought Kyle would really like Finland and wanted him to be there with me. Trees, lakes, boats, saunas, sausage, beer, relaxing and adventuring in the outdoors; all good things. Another thing I want to do is kayak. All the time. I went once a few years ago with some friends, and I've hardly done it again since, but it is something I would do every day if I could.

Today it was in the 70s and sunny, a real Pittsburgh rarity, and everyone was out and about taking advantage. I had work and meetings through the afternoon, but I got to sit out on the porch at my friends house for a while afterwards. Last year all through spring we would do work or not do work in the sun at Schenley Plaza and when the sun started to go down we'd retreat to someones house to watch the Pens play.

Today was also the last game for the Penguins before playoffs begin. They won 5-2, though the outcome of the game didn't matter much. Wait, Sarah is writing about a sports team?
Yep.
Since moving to Pittsburgh, Kyle has made sure to impart as much knowledge as he can and I can retain about Pittsburgh sports- at least the important ones, the Steelers and the Penguins, and our school football team, the Panthers (we have a mutual dislike for baseball, and the Pirates are terrible, so it works out well).You'd think after four years in marching band I'd know how football works, but I didn't. Kyle taught me, I asked questions, and I have a comfortable respect and appreciation for the Steelers. But what nobody could have predicted was how much I have come to truly love the Pittsburgh Penguins. I love them. I love the sport. It is quick and always moving and there are fights. It doesn't hurt that Pens captain Sydney Crosby also led Team Canada to a gold medal victory at the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics (the Olympics and Canada are also two things I love).  In the last year and few months I've gotten to know the Penguins team by watching them play, and being good friends with a few fans has helped in learning who is who, what teams to hate, and the rules of the game. We went to a Penguins vs. Flyers game in the fall, and got to see some of the players practicing up close after a failed blood donation attempt at the Consol Energy Center. The Penguins have had a rough year, with several injuries taking star players out of the lineup. But the thing about the Penguins is that even so, they have been successful. Other players have stepped up, showing how much of a collectively strong team they are, and just how much talent they possess. Sure they make you worry, yell, and wish Fleury would just stay in the damn goal, but they are wonderful, and I hope they do well in the playoffs.

Go Pens!

-From the desk of Mrs. Sarah McPherson


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

from the desk All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger