Description

...

Monday Movies: Oscar Edition

Posted on: Sunday, February 24, 2013

Also called, Monday Movies: Sunday Edition. I thought I'd do a recap of the Best Picture nominated films I've seen, offering few thoughts on each (short and sweet). I've seen six out of the nine, not bad for a busy lady like myself. I'm impressed I got this posted before the awards are given out tonight!

Zero Dark Thirty
I was very captivated by this film. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was gripping, thoughtful, and well-paced. It was the only movie of the nine that portrayed "real" events that we have all been witness to from the outside, and so there was a heightened intrigue and fascination. I love how they shot and edited the film, and I'm happy for Jessica Chastain.

Lincoln
I'm writing this one last, and trying to gather my thoughts on it, considering I saw it first of the bunch, and I was sleepy while watching it, unfortunately. This one made me feel a lot of feelings. I know very little about Lincoln as a living, breathing person, but I felt like I was watching the real president up on the screen. I loved the struggle and the story of what motivates political change, and the supporting cast.  Who doesn't love the 16th president (well, aside from the obvious)?

Django Unchained
Oh, this movie. It was, what, 70% comedy, in my opinion. Dark comedy, but still. It was not as bloody and unbearable as I had been prepared for, and I think that much blood, done in that way, was more ridiculously comical and made it seem not so disturbing. (Personally, not much gets to me in movies, except torture scenes). The music was great, as were all the actors. I don't understand the criticism it has received for it's time-appropriate language (rather I applaud it); I thought it was a very fun movie to watch.

Les Misérables

Unfortunately, I didn't much care for Les Mis. It was the only film of this bunch that I didn't really enjoy watching. Try as I might, I never felt the emotion of it or got to the point where I really felt and cared for the characters, even though I'm familiar with the story and the struggle (is that why I didn't get into it?). I was not expecting every word would be sung, so that was a surprise I would not have preferred. I think that Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway overall did well. Russel Crowe annoyed me; I feel like his face was always the same and said "I'm acting!" and his death was...weird. This movie, above all, should have made me feel, and it did not.

Silver Linings Playbook
This movie was my favorite if going by pure emotion. I was so looking forward to it for a while, and I'm glad it did not disappoint. I loved Bradley Cooper's character. I loved how real it felt, and very personal, due in large part I believe to the style in which it was shot and the acting abilities of the entire cast. It touched on how mental health does not just touch an individual, but the groups and systems that individual is a part of. It portrayed a struggle, suffering, light and realization. And what an acting departure for Bradley Cooper! The only thing that bugged me was the lack of consistency with his necklace position; it was always switching from shot to shot from being under his clothes to out of his clothes, in front to in back, and I noticed it! I've started reading the book on my Kindle; I'm curious to see how it compares in message and tone.

Argo

Luckily this came out just a little while ago, and I rented it and watched it on iTunes yesterday (I almost did the same with Life of Pi, but I would feel guilty for not doing homework)! I don't have a lot to say about it, it was just lovely. What a story, eh? Well done.

Overall, I feel there is a lot of subtlety in these movies (except for Django. It's not so subtle, but even so...) that brings a great quality to them. They are quiet and thoughtful and bring the viewer in rather than push them away in amazement. Which has my vote to win? I think Lincoln or Argo. The pups on Jimmy Fallon chose Argo, kinda sorta. ;)


- From the desk of Mrs. M

2 comments:

  1. 1. Reading this made me realize that I am indeed and hermit and have no time for movie-going. That being said, I wanted to see ALL of these movies and didn't get a chance to.
    2. It's interesting to me that race plays a huge role in at least two of these movies. Maybe that's a sign that America's getting it.
    3. I have mixed feelings that Zero Dark Thirty even exists but you could convince me otherwise if you choose.
    4. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We stumbleԁ over herе from а differеnt web аdԁгeѕs аnd thought I should checκ thingѕ
    out. Ι likе what I see so now і am following уοu.
    Look forwаrd to looκing аt yοur ωeb pаge аgаіn.



    Here is my blog ... internetradio

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

from the desk All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger